A comprehensive dental exam is important to your oral health and overall systemic health. Identifying a potential problem early will help to minimize the trouble as well as future costs. At Oradental we offer a wide range of services to help keep your mouth healthy and we work closely with you to ensure that you maintain a path to good oral health.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A PROFESSIONAL DENTAL CLEANING:
At your initial visit, our hygienist will do an initial check of your teeth and gums before beginning the cleaning. The cleaning includes:
- Removal of soft plaque and calculus (tartar) from your teeth. Plaque is a sticky, soft, almost invisible film that builds up on your teeth and contains millions of bacteria. The bacteria in plaque cause tooth decay and gum disease if it is not removed regularly through brushing and flossing. Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for an extended period of time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Specialized dental instruments are necessary in order to remove calculus by our registered hygienist.
- Polishing of your teeth to remove stain and deposits that are not otherwise removed during brushing and scaling.
- Oral hygiene education, which involves proper brushing and flossing techniques as well as homecare techniques to maintain a healthy mouth.
- Necessary radiographs (x-rays) may be taken to evaluate for caries (cavities) and periodontal disease (gum disease).
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING A CHECK-UP:
After your teeth are clean, we will evaluate the health of your entire mouth and supporting structures.
This will include:
- Review of medical history and blood pressure reading
- Digital x-rays (if necessary) to check the mouth for oral health issues your dentist can’t see during the regular exam
- Checking the health of each tooth for signs of decay
- Oral cancer screening: checking the face, neck, tongue, lips, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer
- Gum disease evaluation: checking the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease
- Ensuring restorative work, such as: dental crowns and bridges, fillings, and dental implants are secure, intact and in good condition
- Examination of your bite to make sure it is in proper alignment
After the exam, we will make treatment recommendations to help you advance and maintain your oral health.